Friday, June 21, 2013

Foodie Friday: Taco Soup, version 1

One thing I've recently realized is that I love soup. Like, a LOT. Love, love looooove soup. Even in the summer, I still crave me a good ol' bowl of soup. I keep telling myself it's insane to want soup when I could probably cook it on the pavement, but I've never claimed to be sane.

I have two recipes that I alternately call "taco soup", although one is more like a chili and the other is an actual soup. We're going to talk about the soup one today!

Years ago, I found a soup recipe on SparkRecipes called "5 Ingredient Soup". It sounded tasty on its own, but I can never leave well enough alone (and I like meat). Oh, and I hate tomatoes unless they're beaten to a pulp first, so that HAD to change. So here's my 7-ingredient soup variation that I short-hand to "taco soup"!






Ingredients:

  • 1 can refried beans (I use Fat Free Rosita brand - you can't even tell, I swear!)
  • 1 cup Chicken Broth
  • 1 can corn (I buy the small 8oz can that my local store sells)
  • 1 can black beans
  • 1 can tomato sauce (8 oz is plenty)
  • either 1/2 lb. uncased Italian sausage or ground meat (turkey, chicken, beef - I usually use 2 turkey Italian sausages, removing the meat from the casings)
  • Hot sauce, to taste
  • OPTIONAL: Sour cream, shredded cheese, tortilla chip "croutons"
Instructions:
  1. Brown the meat of your choosing. Drain the grease and set aside.
  2. Drain and rinse the black beans; drain the corn as well. 
  3. Combine everything except the hot sauce in a decent-sized saucepan. Cook over medium,  until the refried beans are "melted", so to speak! (Hint: It'd be easier to mix the broth with the tomato sauce and refried beans first, and let the broth help "melt" the beans a little first by stirring them, THEN add the beans, corn, and meat. Just an FYI!)
  4. As it nears completion, splash that hot sauce in! I love Trader Joe's hot pepper sauce - it's VERY spicy, so a few dashes will do ya; I'd say using the high-heat sauce I put in about a 1/2 tsp, and that was with tasting it every few splashes... but I like it spicy! It added a great "zing"!
  5. Serve it up as is, or add the mix-ins if desired!
I made it for a day-date with my friend V and goddaughter E; E is a little too young to taste it, but V really liked it! She kept the leftovers for her husband to try, and reported back that he really enjoyed it as well. It's so simple, fast, and DELISH. Enjoy!


Linked up at: 




By Stephanie Lynn


Skip To My Lou

1 comment:

  1. This looks so good!

    I would love for you to link up at the Mommy Archive - we're focused on soup recipes this week, Alice @ Mums Make Lists

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...