So here's the Pinspiration: Using a week-long pill dispenser as a week-long mini-gift dispenser! I found it on Pinterest, originally posted by The Sweetest Occasion; they used it for Valentine's Day, for 7 days of love.
I thought it was a super-cute idea, but I was hoping to figure out something other than just candy. Then I totally scored when I saw really big pillboxes at my local Goodwill near the cash registers! I picked up two, but I wish I'd picked up more. (I'm hoping my recipients will be understanding and let me steal the containers back so others can enjoy the gift.) Unfortunately, even a "Jumbo" pillbox is still only 1.5" by 1.25", so my options were severely limited. I had to get creative! Here's a similar sized one from Amazon: EZY Dose Weekly Pill Reminder
One reason I wanted to avoid an all-candy (at least in this first round, for my best friend N) is because she's been working on weight loss, and I didn't want to throw off her efforts TOO much; there is candy under ONE day, but it's a small amount, and I'll understand if she throws it away instead of eating it - hopefully it's the thought that counts! ;D
I did keep the little slips of paper idea, and changed it - each day got a loose "theme", and since I love me some alliteration, they all had cheesy names! Having 2 S's was a pain, though - Man, Saturday was FRUSTRATING to figure out, but I'm happy with what I came up with.
The weekdays/message/gift for this particular pillbox:
- Sippin' Sunday - Relax with a cold drink! (Individual drink packet, low-calorie Raspberry Lemonade)
- Manic Monday - Something sweet to help you get through Monday! (M&M's)
- Tricky Tuesday - Give yourself a brain-break with this (slightly) tricky puzzle! (Custom crossword puzzle)
- Wear it Wednesday - Here's some new bling to wear today! (dangly earrings I made)
- Treat Yo' Self Thursday - TREAT YO' SELF! ($5 bill)
- Finally Friday - It's Friday! GO NUTS! (Pistachios)
- SWEET, it's Saturday - Here's a reward for getting through this week! (Redbox gift rental code, a fake diamond ring charm - N really loves jewelry, but I can't afford the good stuff ;D)
This is the "prescription" I included; I made it sturdier with some coordinating cardstock and edging scissors. I found the cute prescription image through Google (it's from Testy Yet Trying) and modified it using good ol' Fotoflexer.
Then I used good ol' Microsoft Word, made a table, and filled it with my "clever" messages and some pictures of us to put under the gifts. I used the ruler on the margins as a guideline to shrink the pictures correctly.
|Sorry, no sneak peeks of the pictures - N would kill me if one of those pics was made public. ;D|
|The pics I took for N's gift were too blurry - these are for my friend R's birthday (she LOVES Grumpy Cat!)|
|Also R's version - her gifts were slightly different|
|Aaaaand the messages (which conveniently hide the gifts!)|
|Voila! (We're back to N's gift now. Consistency is very important in blogging, as you can see.)|
|Back to R's box!|