Friday, July 23, 2010

Foodie Friday: A meal fit for Don Draper

I hope my husband will like this!

When I posted my "Anti-Hero Housewife" on Monday, I didn't even make the connection how fitting it was, timing-wise. Why so fitting? Because Sunday is the return of one of the MOST FABULOUS, FASCINATING SHOWS EVER.
MAD MEN SEASON 4
Oh yeah. Mad Men is back, ladies. I'm so excited, I'm actually tempted to bust out my 60's-style formal(ish) dress and get myself some pearls for the event. At the very least, I WILL be making a fabulous 60's appropriate meal for the occasion to enjoy while we watch. One plus side of my husband's TV obsession: We have HD, and the AMCHD channel is on East Coast time, even though I live on the West Coast. That means I get to watch the new episode at 7pm! So I get to watch Don Draper in HD 3 hours earlier. I know, I'd hate me too, I understand.

So what's on the menu? Well, it's actually pretty traditional stuff, but I've never tried making it before. I did my research via Food Timeline, and was informed that Swedish Meatballs experienced a resurgence in popularity in the 50's-60's. The Hubs likes them, I like them, and what says 60's more than gravy and buttered noodles? ;D (I was previously considering meatloaf and mashed potatoes, which is even MORE traditional, but the Swedish Meatballs sounds more interesting!) Food Timeline even provides a 1960's version of the recipe! Which is the recipe I'll be using, 'cuz I like to keep it authentic. I'm thinking I might do an Iceberg Wedge salad, too. Again, according to the Food Timeline site, this is how you make it:

DONE. Hahahaha. I prefer blue cheese (which is even more authentic), but The Hubs will probably stick to Caesar or something else not-creamy. =)

To drink? Well, MY favorite old-school cocktail is the Gimlet. I recently discovered it at my last birthday, and it is a perfect mix of the sweet girly drinks that I used to enjoy and straight-up booze. I like sweeter stuff, but I'm done with the candy alcohol. Gimlets are PERFECT. Of course, traditionally they are made with Gin, but now the default is vodka. I don't like gin, but I love me some vodka.  Of course, the drink I really associate with Mad Men is scotch or Martinis, but neither The Hubs or I care for either. =)

Sounds delicious and PERFECT for a viewing of "Mad Men". SO EXCITED!
This is TOTES how I would look in the 60's.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...