Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Welcome!

This is not your typical housewife blog.

For one thing, the name is slightly a misnomer. I'm not a housewife. I AM a wife, happily married for 3 year to The Hubs, as I call him on the internets. However, I don't exclusively work as a housewife. However, since we started living together (about a year before we wed - quel scandal!), I've been trying to tap into that "housewife" gene to be the wife and (eventual) mother that I feel I should be.

Turns out, that gene's a little recessed and is taking longer than expected to pop forth, let alone nurture and be worth a damn.

So I'm not the BEST housewife (along with not technically being one in the first place), but dammit, I'm trying! I figure I can't be the ONLY one who feels like a homemaker failure most of the time, though - but you don't see many blogs like that! (At least, I don't. Feel free to point me in the right direction.) So I'm here to fill in that void - be the voice of housewife FAIL in this big ol' blogosphere of awesome stay-at-home moms and Martha Stewart Jrs.

Why is it so important to me that I become a better "housewife"? I mean, all this talk of taking care of the home borders on anti-feminist, doesn't it? Lest you think I'm one of those women who thinks the only place for her is in the house, that is SO not the case. I like working, makes me feel like I have value. I also love teaching; I even liked SUBBING all last year, for the most part, and I get totally jazzed when I strike upon great ideas for my classroom and pedagogy. I have to admit, though, my dream is to work as a part-time teacher and spend the rest of my time at home raising the kids and working on my creative pursuits; partly because I was a latchkey kid and I want my kids to have a parent at home when they are out of school. The Hubs is agreeable to that if we can afford it - oh, and once kids are actually in the picture (and apparently Daisy the dog doesn't count). Hopefully, kids will be in the picture soon (I'm poking holes in those condoms!*), and around the time they're starting school, we'll be nearing a point where I can pursue that dream realistically. Before that time, though, I need to get my homemaker side in shape! Gotta pull my weight if I'm staying home half the time at that point - and right now, my homemaker skills are NOT up to snuff.

That isn't a knock against SAHM (Stay At Home Mom) blogs, btw - I LOVE THOSE BLOGS! Hell, I have so many of their ideas bookmarked for my own use! I'm just sayin' - they have it all together and I, well, don't. So I'm here to share what works for ME, and maybe you can adopt it to make it work for YOU. While I'm at it, I hope to throw some humor and fun into the mix as well.

Welcome to my hot mess! May you never repeat my mistakes.

* That was a JOKE, people. I'm a little crazy, but I'm not BATSH** INSANE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...