Saturday, June 26, 2010

Saturday Sneak Peak - Crafts for the Non-Crafty

I'm so excited about this project I just might pee my pants. Just a little, though.

This week I'll be posting my first tutorial for "Crafts for the Non-Crafty", a semi-regular feature post for this here blog in which I help non-crafters decorate their homes with cool, cheap stuff they can make themselves without a lot of sweat (or skill) necessary! One of the few domestic things I'm actually pretty damn good at is crafting. I have a natural gift (thanks to my mom, who's amazingly artistic) to make stuff with my hands and even make it pretty. If being a crafter was all that was necessary to be an amazing housewife, Martha Stewart would be my biggest fan rather than the other way around! ;p Sadly for me, the ability to craft is so not even necessary to housewifery - but it's a nice bonus that can help make your house a little more visually interesting (and save you some money on the way).

Anyway, the first project is halfway done; I did the prototype today, and it turned out good enough that I'll definitely post it, but I want to make one more, a SIMPLER version, first. The point of the "crafts for the non-crafty" is to make simple yet lovely projects, after all - and I had to go and make mine all fancy. *rolls eyes*

BUT here's the necessary materials, if you want to get a heads-up and prepare. The tutorial will be posted by Wednesday night!
An iPhone is optional for this project ;D
Materials:
  • Cheap frame (check the dollar store!), at least 8"x10"
  • 1 piece of Scrapbook paper in a pattern you like, at least 8.5"x11"
  • Four 3/4" magnets
  • mini glue gun (not pictured)
  • Paint, in white + the color you want the frame to be (optional - only needed if you don't like the frame you bought's original color). I prefer acrylic, but spray paint is fine (Spray is faster, but messier and more expensive!)
  • Sealer for the paint job (if painting on a wood frame) (optional)
  • Paint brush (optional - only if you're painting) - I like sponge brushes
  • Square velcro (both soft and scratchy sides) (not pictured)
  • Dry erase marker (not pictured)
  • 1 piece of vellum paper (optional)
  • Spool of thin ribbon (optional)
  • patterned rub-ons (optional - not pictured)
So as you can see, you only REALLY need 4-6 items. Of course, I'm going to show you how to dress up the basic project a little bit as well, in really easy ways! Look for the full tutorial on Wednesay!

Psst... there's a sneak peek of one of the finished products on the Hot Mess Housewife Facebook page!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...